Why are my Gums Bleeding?
Some of our Smile Sarasota patients in our dental practice mention to Dr. Still that they are concerned about bleeding gums. While some people experience this from time to time, it is definitely something that needs to be addressed. Bleeding gums are never a normal condition (not even when you have your teeth cleaned) and the cause needs to be investigated as the condition can be serious. There are lots of different reasons and each has a different way of being treated. Here are some of the more common reasons for bleeding gums:
- Brushing too vigorously, improperly or using a toothbrush that is too hard
- Gingivitis – a mild form of Periodontal disease with redness and swelling
- Periodontal disease – infection of the gums and supporting tissues
- Misaligned teeth – teeth that are crowded or overlapped are very difficult to clean around
- Medications – blood pressure meds, anti-seizure drugs and immunosuppressant drugs are examples
- Flossing improperly
- Pregnancy and hormones
- Poor diet
- Smoking and use of tobacco products
- Family history of gum disease
While proper brushing and flossing can solve some of the bleeding issues, others are more serious need a closer examination so that Dr. Still can determine the exact cause and recommend the right treatment for your individual issue. Call Smile Sarasota today and set up a consultation with Dr. Still, or chat with either of our hygienists for answers to your questions. We are here to help you have healthy teeth and gums for life!