Smile Sarasota takes dentistry very seriously. But believe it or not, teeth can be fun! Here are some wild and crazy dental facts that will make you smile and improve your health as well.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body.
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That is enough spit to fill 2 swimming pools!
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
- In 1994, a prison inmate in West Virginia braided dental floss into a rope, scaled the wall and escaped. We suggest that you stay out of prison and just use floss to floss!
- You should replace your toothbrush at least every three months, and always after you have an episode of flu, cold or other viral infections. Notorious bacteria can implant themselves on the toothbrush bristles leading to re-infection.
- Everyone has their own unique tooth print – just like fingerprints. Dental records are used for forensic identification.
- According to a recent survey done by Time Magazine, 59% of Americans would rather have a dental appointment than be sitting next to someone talking on a cell phone. Maybe some of us should take a hint!
- Over three out of four people in the United States suffer from some form of gum disease. It is the leading cause of tooth loss in people over age 35. The good news is, in most cases gum disease can be prevented or controlled! Do you have your next appointment with our hygienists scheduled?
- The average woman smiles 62 times a day, while the average man – only 8. Come on guys, pick up the pace!
At Smile Sarasota, the office of Dr. Adam Still, we are here for you, and want to help you achieve the best smile and the best dental health possible. If you have any questions about your dental health or need to schedule an appointment, please give us a call today at 941-957-3311.