Healthy Gums and Teeth for Life!
At Smile Sarasota, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive and long-lasting treatment. Whether you are coming in for general care or a cosmetic dental treatment, following these oral hygiene tips from our experts will help you maintain a healthy smile:
Brushing: Brushing your teeth regularly is the best way to upkeep oral hygiene. In order to avoid accumulation of plaque, our Sarasota dentists recommend brushing four times a day:
- In the morning after breakfast
- After lunch or right after school
- After dinner
- At bedtime
For optimal hygiene, make sure to follow these brushing techniques:
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles
- Brush in small circular motions while holding the brush at an angle
- Brush upward on lower teeth and downward on upper teeth
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth!
- Always rinse your mouth thoroughly after brushing, and replace your toothbrush when it starts to fray. Remind your children to avoid swallowing toothpaste.
Smile Sarasota highly recommends the Sonicare electric toothbrush by Phillips Sonicare. It does a superior job of cleansing teeth without abrasion to sensitive gum tissue.
Flossing: Flossing daily, in addition to brushing, is important for maintaining oral hygiene. Flossing allows you to target the area between your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach. All you have to do is follow these easy steps:
- Use about an 18″ length of floss
- Tightly wrap the ends of the floss around your middle fingers
- Slide the floss between all teeth to the gum line
- Unwrap a clean new portion of the floss to use as you move down your teeth.
- Floss at the end of the day before you go to bed. It is common for your gums to bleed slightly when you first start flossing. If the bleeding persists, make sure to let your dentist know on your next appointment.
We often recommend using Soft-Picks® by GUM® in addition to flossing to cleanse between the teeth and stimulate the gum tissue.
Dental Hygiene & Preventative Dentistry: Tooth decay develops progressively as sugars from our everyday diet interact with the naturally occurring bacteria in teeth. Good oral hygiene, regular checkups and preventative dentistry measures can help you avoid unhealthy teeth and costly treatments. Sealants and fluoride are two easy treatments.
- Dental Sealants -Sealants are a resin material that shields areas of your teeth that are most susceptible to tooth decay. They are typically applied to back teeth, molars and premolars, and last for several years. Applying sealants is a quick and easy procedure. Ask our friendly staff members about them on your next visit.
- Fluoride – Fluoride is a substance that keeps teeth strong and resistant to decay. Daily consumption of fluoride treated water can help lower the risk of cavities. Our dentists can help evaluate the level of fluoride in your drinking water and recommend fluoride supplements that fit your needs.
Contact Us With Any Questions! Our Smile Sarasota dental experts are always happy to answer any questions you may have regarding oral hygiene and the preventative dental procedures we have available. Don’t hesitate to contact us today! We look forward to helping you work towards a cleaner, brighter smile.